Tuesday 2 October 2012

Maybe I'll just be a unicorn....


When you are a creative person, there is often pressure on you to make money out of your talents. Which is awesome. That's the dream, right? "Find something you love doing, then get paid for it"?
That's all fine. But that can become a bit of a monkey on your back. Everything has a commercial expectation on it. Creativity becomes only a function of purpose... 'Nice drawing, but WHAT'S IT FOR?'

In my life I have always created. At times, I have made money from that creativity. At times, I haven't. The funny thing about creative people is that they are often NOT business people. Sure, I can paint a painting, draw a picture, write a joke... but when it comes to marketing that product (especially when that product is myself) I often struggle. I am shy. I am socially awkward. The people who have said, "Oh, your so talented!" start saying, "Oh, why are you still working in a shop? You should be a millionaire artist by now!" *

I think that is why blogging has become such an integral part of my creative process- I am safe here. This is my Creative Space. Everyone is welcome and no-one is scary... most of the time... 

I love to create. I love to draw and craft and paint and write and whatever. I wish someone would come along and say, "All that shit you are doing? It's awesome. I am going to help you get paid for it. Or, I am just gonna pay you for it. Just keep doing what you are doing., I'll do the hard bits. Like talking to other humans."

Maybe one day that will happen, but in the mean time,  sometimes, it's just nice to make yourself some presents. Just because. 

Do you feel pressure to BE something? Maybe a unicorn?

post signature

* I am fully aware that the 'people' who pressure me and judge me are pretty much a  figment of my own mind and my biggest critic is me. Yep. 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I hear you! I am making some small money from my craft but I constantly get told to sell stuff I make and I find myself not creating just for me anymore - which is kind of sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this saying - it would have to be one of my favourites !
    "Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. Then be a unicorn."
    Love that you can make yourself some presents.
    Have a great day !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh.

    You have articulated something I have been feeling but have not been acknowledging.

    Hmmm....

    Brain pop.

    Off to find a good psychoanalyst right now..

    *dial tone*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tessiegirl!!



I love it when people leave me comments!! Yay!
If you are not sure how to leave a comment, DO THIS:
1) Write your lovely comment in the box
2) click on 'Comment As'. A drop down menu will appear
3) click on Name/URL
4) Just type your name in. If you have a blog, you can type the URL of the blog in and I will come visit you!!
5) Click on publish
NOTE: I am no longer accepting anonymous comments, due to the ridiculous amount of spam i receive.
*These instructions are for anyone who is like my lovely real life family who are not too savvy with the whole Bloggy-thing!!