Tuesday 28 May 2013

A couple of months of books

So, I like to read. I read a lotta books. And I don't just read Stephen King. Although I do read/ reread a SK book probably once a month. Cos I am a harcore nerd :-)

Ok, so I thought I'd recommend a few books I have read in the last two months or so.

1) Lola Bensky by Lily Brett
This is the second Lily Brett novel I have read- the first being Too Many Men. Again, in Lola Bensky there is the theme of a child of a holocaust survivor trying to reconcile what her parents went through and what it means in her life. In this novel, that stream is crossed with the music industry of the late sixties early seventies- fascinating and in some parts, harrowing.

2) In One Person by John Irving
John Irving is almost precious to me. He is mine. Whenever a new novel comes out, I almost squeal out loud. In One Person is another oddball coming of age story. It follows Billy, as he develops a number of crushes on the 'wrong' people. The John Irving Universe is a warm, confronting, comfortable place, filled with wacky, beautiful characters

3) Paper Aeroplanes by Dawn O'Porter
My husband and I have developed a TV crush on Dawn O'Porter, after stumbling across her documentary specials. Then, we discovered she is married to the awesome Chris O'Dowd! And she is CUTE AS A BUTTON. So when I heard she had written her debut novel, I had to check it out. It is  young adult fiction, but I still enjoyed it. Having just seen Dawn's doco about her mother's death from breast cancer, it was even more poignant to read the thoughts of her pseudo teen self via the character Renee. A lovely book.

4) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Loved this book.  Loved it. I can't really tell you too much about it without giving away too much. But. Oh my lord. Incredible characters. Evil Genius Alert. 

5) The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
This book is about a very unusual circus and a very strange competition. I loved the Circus imagery and the kooky cast of characters, but there were times when I kinda din't really get what was going on... Does that make me stupid? Maybe.

6) Six Years by Harlan Coben
I love a bit of mystery/ thriller every now and then. This is my first Harlan Coben and I really enjoyed it. The main character Jake Fisher was interesting and sympathetic- maybe I connected with him cos he is a college professor and i have read so many John Irving novels! But, Six Years is a good, fast read that does what it says on the box.

7) 11/22/63 by Stephen King
Ok, Ok, I re-read a Stephen King too! If you haven't read this one, RUN DONT WALK and get on this immediately. It is such a great book. And, if you are not a King fan 'cos you think he is only a horror writer YOU COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG!! This book is a historical, time travelling, romantic thriller. It is awesome. The end.

Ok! That's me. I have just downloaded another Harlan Coben, 'Gone for Good', so that what's up next.

Are you a reader? What are you reading right now?

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Jodi Hamlyn-Harris28 May 2013 at 14:20

    I am still reading We Need to Talk About Kevin. I think it is genius. I am reading it very slowly (unlike you) but every time I open it up I am thrilled to be back in Eva's highly intelligent, slightly snide and aloof mind where everything she thought was true about her life is not, and every truth she feared about her son, is. The last book I read was 11/22/63 and I agree with everything you say. Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think i'm gonna have to reread that one- and see the film. As the parent of a teenage boy, i found that book so challenging- the thought of creating a monster. So awful.

      Delete
  2. Was the caps under SK for me ??? LOL Now that I know that I will be seeing if I can get 11/2/2/63 out the library.
    The Harlan Coben looks like it might be up my alley as well.
    As for the others, hmmmmmm not so much - but thanks for sharing !!
    I read heaps and heaps - well I used to read heaps and heaps before menopause and loss of concentration etc etc kicked in ! My 6-8 books a fortnight has dwindled to maybe 1-2 because it takes so long having to re-read pages and pages to try to work out what is going on in the story !!! LOL (sort of !!)
    But, even though it takes me longer, I still love curling up in bed with a book.
    Have the best day !
    Me

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tessiegirl!!



I love it when people leave me comments!! Yay!
If you are not sure how to leave a comment, DO THIS:
1) Write your lovely comment in the box
2) click on 'Comment As'. A drop down menu will appear
3) click on Name/URL
4) Just type your name in. If you have a blog, you can type the URL of the blog in and I will come visit you!!
5) Click on publish
NOTE: I am no longer accepting anonymous comments, due to the ridiculous amount of spam i receive.
*These instructions are for anyone who is like my lovely real life family who are not too savvy with the whole Bloggy-thing!!