Saturday 17 December 2011

Kylie dressed up as Miley?

As we prepared to go Christmas shopping this morning (yes, we are insane going to a Shopping Centre a week before Christmas), I said to The Awesome Teenager, 
"Does this dress look too young for me, Mate?"
"...Um .... maybe... a bit?" he replied, with that male look of terror in his eye, flinching as he waited for my response.
 No, I didn't go medieval on his ass, (I asked the question and always want an honest answer from the males in my house) but as I changed into what I deemed as a more age appropriate outfit, I started to wonder,
"What is too old?"
"What is 'Age-Appropriate'?"
"Is it creepy for a 37year old to wear a baby doll dress?"


It's not like I dress like Brynne Edelsten...

(Who I think is supercute, by the way. And I could give her a run for her (husband's) money if I had a corset like that too!!)

With age I have learned to tame the bosoms, lower the hem and the platform heel, but sometimes I wonder if I have crossed some invisible threshold from cute and edgy to middle aged and embarrassing. Are people pointing and giggling? Am I making The Awesome Teenager cringe?

But, then I think... So What?! I don't feel 37. I don't think I act 37... 

But what is 37? Who gets to say who I should be at this age, or any other? Who gets to say what I should wear or how I should feel comfortable.... Answer? 
ME.

I figure as long as I don't look like Whitney dressed up as Britney, or Kylie dressed up as Miley, I'm good.

Oh, and I most definitely want someone to take me aside for a stern talking to if I ever start to look like and elderly woman playing the lead in a production of Annie.....

What do you think about 'Age Appropriate' dressing? 
And, 
CAN I GET AWAY WITH THE BABY DOLL DRESS????

x gillian

6 comments:

  1. I like your dress and think you look awesome! Definitely not too old for it :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. 37 is not middle aged Gilly! You're at your peak baby - go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you can wear a baby doll dress and platforms at the same time! Until my back gives and my knees have been replaced twice.....then and only then may I consider giving up the things that make me smile and put a spring in my step! Funny having a girl as an Awesome teenager, I would have asked her the same question. Her responce always...that is sooo cool Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amy! And Marg- I think I'm on the down hill side of that peak!!

    Anonymous- that's so funny- if I had a girl Awesome Teenager we would probably share our clothes! Your girl does sound awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hashlob paved the way as one of the notable, trustworthy and diligent company with a
    diversied array ofsatised customers
    responsive web design services

    ReplyDelete
  6. Technologistan is the popoular and most trustworthy resource for technology, telecom, business and auto news in Pakistan
    ufone sms package

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tessiegirl!!



I love it when people leave me comments!! Yay!
If you are not sure how to leave a comment, DO THIS:
1) Write your lovely comment in the box
2) click on 'Comment As'. A drop down menu will appear
3) click on Name/URL
4) Just type your name in. If you have a blog, you can type the URL of the blog in and I will come visit you!!
5) Click on publish
NOTE: I am no longer accepting anonymous comments, due to the ridiculous amount of spam i receive.
*These instructions are for anyone who is like my lovely real life family who are not too savvy with the whole Bloggy-thing!!