I love it when advertising catchphrases/ slogans become part of the public's vernacluar. These little nuggets that wedge themselves in our subconsciouness', and before we know it, they are just part of our lives. The point is to create an association, so that every time we say "Like a sunrise" we are subconsciously re-seeing the Aami Ad. I think we often forget the ad they came from in the first place, and the saying itself becomes the 'product'. Which is the total opposite of the intention, I guess.
SO, here's my list of little ear worms...
1) "Not Happy Jan"Telstra Yellow Pages. That one was everywhere. That ad aired between 2000 and 2003 AND PEOPLE STILL SAY IT!
2) "That'll be the phone , Reg" *
This was a Telstra one too. Old couple on the porch and wife says the line. I think there were others in the series, but this one was the one that stuck. Although, it kinda fits in one of my most hated Advertising ctegories- The Idiot Husband ads. There were a rash of ads a few years ago that all followed the same brief- Wife Rolls Eyes at Idiot husband. The End. Lazy, insulting advertising makes me wanna punch someone.
3) "Sic 'em, Rex"
Very eighties, this one. The girl in the ad was the darling of Dolly magazine- constant cover model. It was bit naughty and very suggestive, but when I was a teenager, I just thought Rex the anteater was cute.
4) "G-O-GG-O"I love that dude. Who doesn't love impersonating his accent???? Do it now. It will cheer you up. Let's do it together... G-O-GG-O. Awesome.
5) "O Kono No!" "He says he doesn't know..."
This was a John West tuna ad. From 1987. It's one of those little hangers on that I still say, and until today, probably couldn't have told you where it came from. Well played, John West. Well Played.
I am totally showing my age here!!
My mum does still say "Drink it, Freddie!" Which was a Nestles Quick ad from 1970!!!! In Black and White!! Hmmmm..... I wonder what the OLDEST catchphrase that is still in the vernacular is?
What are your favourite ad catchphrases?
* I can't find a single image or video of this ad on the whole interwebz! What's that about??? If anyone can find it, i'll give you a million dollars. I won't really... ask my husband. I owe him, like, 47 million dollars. He thinks I am good for it. I am totally not.